In this hands-on cooking class, Chef Tutors, Pann and Leesa will guide you through a variety of street food recipes from Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar and Thailand. You will learn about the rich cultural and food heritage of Southeast Asia.
Vietnamese street food combines herbs with spice infused stocks so everything tastes so fresh! Contrast that to the Hawkers of Bangkok who use chilli, galangal, basil, coconut and lime in their sauce. You will learn how to prepare the curry paste from scratch. From Myanmar (formerly known as Burma), you will discover a ‘secret recipe’ for Burmese Beef Curry. Malaysian street food incorporates Indo-China influences following the arrival of South Indian and Chinese migrant workers. Roti in Malaysia is not the same as roti in India or the Caribbean. On the streets of Jakarta, you’ll discover Portuguese and Dutch influences including spicy fried noodles.
You will cover a variety of recipes throughout the day and eat street food style as you go along. Refreshments served on arrival and a glass of wine/beer served during the day. Recipes will be adapted for vegetarians – please leave a note when booking.
- Vietnamese Summer Rolls
- Thai Chicken & Potato Musamman Curry
- Maureen’s Burmese (Myanmar) Beef Curry
- Malaysian ‘Roti Canai’ (as shown in the accompanying picture photographed by Stuart Ovenden for Norman‘s ‘Amazing Malaysian’ cookbook)
- Malaysian Quick Dhal Vegetable Curry
- Indonesian, Prawn ‘Bak Mi Goreng’ Wok fried Noodles