Learn how to utilise and cook with the wild plants in Harborne. This course is ideal for those of you who enjoy walking in pure wilderness and know the secret spots for total escape from City Life. The Harborne Walkway follows the route of an old railway and submerges you in wilderness. You will learn alongside professional wild food forager James Wood who has identified no less than 36 edible plants.
Through the day we will learn how to correctly and safely identify, source and harvest the huge abundance of wild greens surrounding us, from wild garlic to jelly ear mushrooms, whilst trying a huge range of pre-made wild food tasters. Following the wild food exploration, you will then return to the Food School to begin the cookery side of our course.
You will all learn how to chop, boil, steam, fry, preserve and utilise the plants you harvest, creating your own truly seasonal two course meal which you will enjoy with wild wines, cordials or cocktails at the end of the session. This course will be Asian inspired, utilising summers wild food bounty to cook up an Asian tasting menu – Think Fresh Spring Rolls, rice noodle wild salad, fried wontons and some nettle kimchi to take home with you.
Running of the day:
- Introductions and arrival at the cookery school
- Wild food tasters, coffee, tea
- Out for a forage, trying lots of tasters along the way
- Return to site, recap on what we’ve found with tea, coffee and biscuits
- Cook and eat our main course and crack open some wild wines
- Cook and eat our dessert
- Refresh ourselves with what we’ve achieved through the day
- You leave a budding forager in the making with skills you need to safely collect food and ideas for how to cook up your harvest.
- Note pad
- Suitable clothing
Please note that the price is for one adult only. If you wish to bring along a child (under 18) then the price for an adult plus child is £135.00. Please contact us by phone or e-mail to arrange this.