Boost your confidence in the kitchen. Knives are the essential kitchen tool and every cook needs to get to grips with them. If you are a beginner we will introduce you to a variety of kitchen knives and teach you how to use them safely. If you have experience already, we will show you how to refine your knife skills using recipes that demand cutting precision. Feel free to bring your own knife so we can show you how to sharpen and maintain your blades for ultimate cutting edge precision.
You will learn to use a chopping knife and filleting knife and given lots of opportunity to practice. In this class we will focus on key ingredients for a traditional Christmas meal. Techniques you will learn include
- Chopping herbs (fine chop, rough chop and chiffonade)
- Crushing garlic
- Slicing, chipping and dicing eg potatoes or other root veg
- Chopping and slicing onions
- Slicing mushrooms to prepare a mushrooms a la creme recipe using garlic, herbs and mushrooms
Charlotte will demonstrate how to joint a turkey and how to fillet a round or flat fish. The timetable for the session is presented below.
- 18:45 – Students to practice sharpening their knives
- 18:30 – Dem onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, parsnips mirepoix
- 19:00 – Dem turkey & roast pieces
- 19:45 – Students to practice chopping
- 20:15 – Students to make mushroom a la creme & cook roast potatoes
- 20:45 – Dem filleting flat/round fish & cook veg
- 21:00 – Sit down to eat supper and answer questions
- 21:30 – End of session
All leftover food can be taken home so don’t forget to bring take home boxes.
This session can be adapted for vegetarians. If you are vegetarian please contact us before booking as the ticket price is £10 less.